2019 Public Information re Dr. Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital
4/6/2019 2:10:53 PM
Dr. Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital at Dreamnight at the Zoo
This years event will be held on Friday, June 7, 2019 from 6:30-9pm
Information about the 2019 EASAV Teddy Bear Drive
We are collecting donations of NEW and very gently used stuffed animals to give to patients and families of the Children's Stollery Hospital at Dreamnight at the Zoo!
At our Teddy Bear Hospital, over 700 children are given a stuffed animal and invited to interact with real veterinarians and vet techs while they remove foreign bodies from our stuffed surgery dogs, participate in various interactive displays, bandage their new friends (and themselves!) and participate in a poop scoop race.
If you can donate stuffed animals (any size) to one of our Veterinary Clinic Depot centres, please visit one of them today!
Questions? Please contact our Executive Assistant, Smokey Walters at (780)970-3728 or by email to email@example.com.
Like and follow us on Facebook to share our Teddy Bear Drive with your family & friends and receive updates!
Veterinary Clinic Depot Centres
The following clinics are ready to take your donations until May 10, 2019!
If you would prefer to drop donations off at your own veterinary clinic, ask them if they can store your donation & contact us on your behalf!
- Millwoods East Veterinary Clinic: Address: 2322 - 24 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6T 0G9; Phone: (780) 461-0629; Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Side Animal Hospital: 6003-104 Street, Edmonton, AB; Phone: (780) 434-6462; email@example.com
- Terwillegar Veterinary Clinic: 14735 40 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6R 1N1; Phone: (780) 435-8387; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ottewell Animal Clinic: 6142 90 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6B 0P2; Phone: (780) 466-1826; email@example.com
- Capilano Animal Clinic: 9945 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6A 0L4; Phone (780) 469-0657; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Westside Animal Clinic: 5232-199 Street, Edmonton, AB Phone: (780) 481-4393; email@example.com
- Mercy Animal Hospital: 15825 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5X 0C7; Phone: (780) 406-1400; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delton Veterinary Hospital: 8203 127 Ave NW, Edmonton AB T5E 0A1; Phone: (780) 475-9225; email@example.com
- Guardian Veterinary Centre: 5620 - 99 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 1V2 (780) 436-5880 (Open 24 hours!)
- Granada Veterinary Clinic: 304 101 Granada Blvd Sherwood Park, AB T8A 4W2; Phone: (780) 464-1287; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Uncas Veterinary Clinic: 52307 Range Rd 213 #265, Sherwood Park, AB T8G 1C1; email@example.com
- Spruce Grove Veterinary Clinic: 5 South Avenue, Spruce Grove, AB; Phone: (780) 962-3233; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stony Plain Veterinary Clinic: 4920 - 44 Avenue, Stony Plain, AB T7Z 1V5; Phone: (780)963-2258; Email: email@example.com
- Mission Ridge Animal Hospital: 51 Liberton Drive, St Albert, Alberta Phone: (780) 458-3833; firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. Albert Animal Clinic: 22 St. Anne Street, St. Albert, AB T8N 1E9; Phone: (780)459-3600; email@example.com
Background information: Dreamnight at the Zoo is an annual international event held by over 255 participating zoos, aquariums, and parks, providing a joyous cost-free evening for chronically ill and disabled children and their families. In Edmonton, this event is celebrated by the Edmonton Valley Zoo in partnership with the Stollery Children’s Hospital and many local volunteer contributors.
Since its inception in 2015, children have found delight in EASAV’s ‘The Teddy Bear Hospital’, a brainchild of the late Dr. Milton Ness and Smokey Walters, EASAV’s Executive Assistant. With each year, its popularity continues to grow and now the hospital’s capacity is designed to accommodate more than 700 child visitors.
Families who visit us will find a cozy "hospital" experience provided by EASAV member veterinarians, clinic staff and their families. Interactive hands-on displays include adoption of donated stuffed animals with personalized ID collars, a bandaging centre, stocked with decorative vetrap for wound care, and a surgery room, where foreign body surgery can be performed on a stuffed “teddy”, revealing surprising treasures inside to reward the brave surgeons. An outdoor photo booth to record and help commemorate the event all add to the fun.
EASAV would like to thank the following outstanding contributors to this event: Dr. Shannon Wawryk and staff at the Stony Plain Veterinary Clinic (Photo booth), The Millwoods East Veterinary Clinic & Summit Veterinary Pharmacy (Candy donations, current and past), The Capilano & Ottewell Animal Clinics (initial Teddy Bear Drive & surgery dogs), Uncas Veterinary Clinic (Adoption Centre). Dr. Maria Sung for hands-on displays and Kathy Ness for her annual donation to this program.
For more details and a full list of our event contributors, please scroll down to the bottom of this page.
(Article written by: Natasha Russell, DVM, EASAV Vice President for the AbVMA Members' Magazine)
EASAV would like to thank the following veterinary clinics, their clients, industry partners and individual people for their hard work and dedication towards this project since its inception: Dr. Shannon Wawryk at the Stony Plain Veterinary Clinic (Photo booth and surgery dog), Kathy Ness, Dr. Clare Leger and the Millwoods East Veterinary Clinic, Alice Boshier and Summit Veterinary Pharmacy, The Capilano & Ottewell Animal Clinics, the Uncas Veterinary Clinic, Dr. Maria Sung, Dr. Terri Pettifor, Dr. Barb Muzyka, Melanie Hammermeister, Chelaine Vanderzwan, Erika Mitchell, Tina Shewchuk, Dr. Melody Howlett and the Belle Rive Pet Hospital, Lindsay Stretch, The Spruce Grove Veterinary Clinic, Dr. Ray Lee and the Castledowns Animal Hospital, Dr. Clare Leger, Dr. Natasha Russell, Dr. Cheryl Lewis. Dr. Gurmeet Tuli and family, Dr. Kelti Kachur, Dr. Kim Robinson, Dr. Robin Schade, Dr. Niranjan Sabanathan, Dr. Jocelyn Forseille, Dr. Lisa Collis, Dr. Kathy Takacs, Heidi Vandenhouten, Dustin Erickson, Dr. Heather and Dean Steele, Dr. John Hee, Dr. Tanya Marrazzo, Christine Scott, Alice Boshier, Dr. Alana Shrubsole-Cockwill, Michelle Spurway, Elly Paslawsky, Cindy Luniw-Adsit, Seraph Forth, WDDC, Lynn Bussey, Debbie Claassen, Dr. Jeff Person, Dr. Gina Thull, Dr. Adrien Perez, Dr. Ken Cockwill, Rebecca Bicknell, Trisha Lawrence, Jennifer Babyak, Dr. Christie Gingras, Jordan Foster, Jennifer Bos, Becca Trudel, Dr. Kristel Horvath, Rhonda Lappenbush, Kathleen Trendall, Juliet Fung, Jackie Sehlin, Natasha Borys (Petline Insurance), Lynn Heard, Courtney Pielak, Michelle Yoon, Dr. Dani Wood, The Mayfield Veterinary Hospital, VCA VetEmerg, Lisa Robitaille, Jenny Low, Hayley Severin, Madison Bober, Lance Basnett, Lizz McBride, Karen Anderson, Kory Hedstrom, Jenny Low, Jordan Foster, Dr. Chandan Maan, Cale Spicer, Nick Radloff, Trish Lawrence, Kaylee Cheladyn, Hady Onaissi, South Side Animal Hospital, Dr. Alison Jackson, Penny Radostits, Dr. Annabelle Sydie-Smith, Caresse Brochu, Dr. Patty Marsh, Dr. Jessica Wilson, Dr. Joel Torkelson, Dr. Richard Long, Dr. Jared Lawrence, Sherry Loonstra, Guardian Veterinary Centre, Delton Veterinary Hospital, McTaggart Veterinary Clinic, Mission Ridge Animal Hospital, Beaumont Animal Clinic, Hermitage Veterinary Hospital, General Veterinary Hospital, Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic, Terwillegar Veterinary Clinic, Blue Cross Animal Hospital, Marketplace Animal Hospital, Dr. Kristel Horvath, Town Centre Veterinary Hospital, Whitemud Creek Veterinary Clinic, St. Albert Animal Clinic, Ellis Don Construction, Lexus Edmonton, Adam Spies (Boehringer), Alana Gomez (Vetoquinol), Tammy Sorensen (Aventix), Charlene Humphrey (Royal Canin), Linzi Martin (Idexx), Kelsey Schellenberger (Nestle Purina), Eric Pasimio (Bayer), Lee Milan (Trupanion) Carol Chan, Smokey Walters (EASAV), Dorothy Kelker (Valley Zoo), Dr. Sini Mathew and family, Penny Radostits, Bonnie Moreau, Lynn Heard, Jason Johnson, Connie Varnhagen and AHAS
The EASAV Executive Team