Peer Support Group
7/9/2019 4:56:32 PM
Welcome to the EASAV Member Peer Support Group Page!
ANNOUNCING OUR NEW MEETING LOCATION:
The group now meets on the second Wednesday of each month at the
VCA Mayfield Animal Hospital from 7 - 9 pm!
Address: 16808 106 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5P 4Z3
Q: Who are these meetings for?
A: For EASAV member veterinarians who are searching for peer support with issues such as:
Do you have a question for one of our facilitators? Contact them confidentially at email@example.com.
One of this program’s basic principles is that of confidentiality. Meetings will be kept confidential; those present will be asked not to disclose to anyone whom we see or what we hear while at the meetings.
Each session is co-facilitated by 1-2 long-time EASAV members, Drs. Martin Schiebel and/or Nancy Bruyere and/or Smokey Walters, our Executive Assistant.
We are not licensed counsellors and are not trained to give guidance on personal, social or psychological problems; we are veterinarians helping veterinarians and we look forward to helping our fellow members!
Not an EASAV member, but seeking support? If you are a veterinarian registered with the AbVMA, we welcome you to purchase a membership with us so that you can attend our meetings! Please contact our Executive Assistant, Smokey at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (780)970-3728 if you have any questions.
If you not a registered veterinarian and are looking for mental health support, please go to our website and look under Community Connections > Peer Support Group for a list of available mental health resources.
Connecting veterinary professionals with mental health resources in the community
Suicide Support: Call 1-833-4566 or text 45645
- this is a crisis line for immediate help when in crisis. It connects people to their local crisis centre
Mental Health Hotline Alberta
Alberta Health Services Crisis/Distress Hotline
211 - Dial 2-1-1 anytime, 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week.
- Edmonton: 1-780-342-7777
- Calgary: 403-266-1605
- Anyone in Alberta can call either number. When you or someone you know needs to talk to a mental health therapist (i.e.: distress, talking about self harm, harm to others, suicidal thoughts/words)
List of Crisis centres in Alberta
- with 24 hr support to provide resources to help with a stressful situation before it escalates into a crisis
- If calling from outside the 211 service areas (areas listed at http://www.ab.211.ca/communities served)
- Dial either Edmonton: 780-482-4636 OR Calgary: 403-264-3388
- Online Chat available from 12 – 8pm MT daily
- 211 Alberta connects you to social services in your community. They use the inform Alberta database to search available supports for the caller's needs
Alberta Health Services Health Link
Alberta Mental Health Intake
- talk to a nurse about a mental health or physical concern in person
- 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week
- live person answers this phone
Mental Health Resources for livestock producers in Canada - domore.ag
- to book a mental health assessment with an expert; recorded message only
- There is no live person who answers this phone
- for AbVMA member mental health support
- call 1-800-663-1142 - Press (1) for immediate crisis support, offered 24/7
- OR visit homewoodhealth.com