Peer Support Group
8/11/2021 10:21:33 PM
EASAV Peer Support Group
The EASAV Peer Support Group now provides support to vets, RVTs & AHTs, nationwide!
We offer a safe, empathetic, supportive and confidential space to talk and process what you might be going through.
The link to the Zoom meetings are sent by email to our website users 1-2 days prior to each meeting.
Meeting Dates: second Tuesday of every month on Zoom!
Time: 7-8 pm MDT
Click here to sign up to receive a monthly invitation to this meeting
If you need someone from our team to connect with, we are happy to help and can set up meetings on demand, as requested!
Email us: email@example.com
Call one of us by phone:
Dr. Kathy Keil (Alberta): (587) 777-2342
Dr. Nancy Bruyère (Alberta): (780) 674-1754
Dr. Leann Benedetti (Ontario): 1-(705)-791-5312
Dr. Sally Cleland (Saskatchewan): 1-(306) 209-2924
Smokey Walters (AB RVT): (780) 913-3789
Connie Varnhagen: (780) 903-5402
Q: Who are these meetings for?
A: For veterinarians and RVTs who are searching for peer support with issues such as:
One of this program’s basic principles is that of confidentiality.
Those present must agree not to disclose to anyone, whom we see or what we hear while at the meetings.
We are not licensed counsellors and are not trained to give guidance on personal, social or psychological problems; we are veterinary professionals helping veterinary professionals and we look forward to helping our fellow peers!
Connecting veterinary professionals with mental health resources in the community
National and International Veterinary Wellbeing Resources, courtesy of Dr. Marie Holowaychuk
LOCAL MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORTS
Suicide Support: Call 1-833-456-4566 (open 24 hours for calls) or text 45645 (text messages received and returned between 4 pm - 12 am only)
- this is a crisis line for immediate help when in crisis. It connects people to their local crisis centre
Mental Health Hotline Alberta
Alberta Health Services Crisis/Distress Hotline
211 - Dial 2-1-1 anytime, 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week.
- Edmonton: 1-780-342-7777
- Calgary: 403-266-1605
- Anyone in Alberta can call either number. When you or someone you know needs to talk to a mental health therapist (i.e.: distress, talking about self harm, harm to others, suicidal thoughts/words)
List of Crisis centres in Alberta
- with 24 hr support to provide resources to help with a stressful situation before it escalates into a crisis
- If calling from outside the 211 service areas (areas listed at http://www.ab.211.ca/communities served)
- Dial either Edmonton: 780-482-4636 OR Calgary: 403-264-3388
- Online Chat available from 12 – 8pm MT daily
- 211 Alberta connects you to social services in your community. They use the inform Alberta database to search available supports for the caller's needs
Alberta Health Services Health Link
Alberta Mental Health Intake
- talk to a nurse about a mental health or physical concern in person
- 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week
- live person answers this phone
Mental Health Resources for livestock producers in Canada - domore.ag
- to book a mental health assessment with an expert; recorded message only
- There is no live person who answers this phone
Pet Safekeeping Resource Page
Veterinary-specific Mental Health Resource Links
CVMA Health and Wellness Resources
OVMA's i matter mental health resources for veterinary professionals
NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORTS AND INFORMATION
- for AbVMA member mental health support
- call 1-800-663-1142 - Press (1) for immediate crisis support, offered 24/7
- OR visit homewoodhealth.com